Friday, June 14, 2013

An Intern's Prom Experience

By Nicholas Daniluk, Performing Arts Intern

This entry is a little bit late. We've been pretty busy, and there have been a lot of changes here at View. I'll fill you in on the details next week. But for now, here is the last post I wrote: June 3rd, 2013
Day 13
I have known for a while that View was going to be hosting a local prom, and that staff members would be needed to supervise their use of our space. Events like proms are the kind of thing I am used to from my years of working for the student activities department of Pratt Institute. There we had a couple of sorority dinners and dances in our student union space where I was in charge of monitoring their use of our tables, chairs, and sound equipment while also making sure they cleaned up after themselves. I imagined that this prom would be similar so I volunteered to help out. Though to be honest, previous experience was not the only reason I volunteered.

I did not go to my own prom in high school. Which is not something I regret. My late teens were more troubled and awkward than most, and knowing what I was like back then going to prom would have been a horrible experience. But who I am now would probably have enjoyed it. And I have always been a little bit curious as to what a prom is actually like outside of portrayals in popular culture. Additionally a good friend of mine owed me a date after I had accompanied her to her friend’s wedding. A job I know well, a friend to dance with, and getting to see the real thing. Plenty of reasons to volunteer.
Sadly, my date had to cancel on me. But other than that the evening went quite smoothly. The kids were there for set-up early and got the job done with time to spare. The DJ they hired sounded pretty good in our space and the kids danced the night away. Though I question the taste of some of the songs played. Two trouble-makers and a thunderstorm were the only things that put a damper on the kid’s fun.


This weekend we have the Spitfire Grill, a musical based on the hit movie of the same name. It's about a feisty young woman working at Hannah's Spitfire Grill. I've never seen it, nor heard of it. But my supervisor is excited, and that is a good sign.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment