Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reflections on the Oct. 20009 Old Forge Plein Air/Paint Out


by Loretta Lepkowski

 

Wow!  I think the Old Forge Plein Air/Paint Out this past weekend (Oct. 3 &4) went well despite the finicky weather.  Invited Artists registered at the Fire Hall’s meeting room where they also got a bit of breakfast and packed their lunches. An artist gift bag was included along with a copy of the Guild booklet.  They arrived individually or in small groups from Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Lake Placid and other local areas.  What fun meeting one another and chatting with such wonderful artists!  The artists spread out in five different locations in Old Forge area including McCauley Mt.  Equipped with their easels and paint supplies, they set up to capture the colorful fall scenes outside in public view. I was humbled to be in the presence of such celebrated and capable artists like Drayton Jones , Giorgina Talarico, Debra Burrington, Martin Scoville, Milton Franson and others I missed seeing painting on site


I managed to produce two small paintings -  one on Saturday, of an older gentleman reading while sitting in my lawn chair with the background of the Moose River and fall foliage. I happened upon him and liked his hat and coaxed him to pose for me. This was painted in a loose style, as I was concerned that he was getting chilled. (I’m still trying to learn how to paint people and he was kind to sit for me).  Later, I learned that he was a strong supporter of the Arts Center.  On Sunday, I arrived by noon after the morning rain.   Some of my relatives form Syracuse came to Old Forge.  After meeting them at the Arts Center where they took in the National Watercolor Show and introducing them to staff, volunteers and artists;  I had 2 hours left to paint.  In a panic, I tried to think of something or somewhere to paint and pulled in the Enchanted Forest parking lot.   I was happy to find a spot behind the ticket booth to set up my easel and proceeded to quickly paint an old friend, Paul Bunyan, surrounded by lovely colors.  It got brisk and the clouds constantly changed the lighting, but I was able to finish it in the nick of time for submission to the Arts Center by 4pm.  I titled it, “I found my Man”….

or “Paul Bunyan” -  for a bit of humor.    

            For a fun and exciting day to see beautiful art work available for purchase that has been completed in this Plein Air/Paint Out, please consider coming to McCauley Mt. On this Sunday, Oct. 11th.  The silent Auction will begin at the McCauley Mt. lodge at noon and the Live Auction will start at 5pm.  Food and music will add to the festivities.  You might also consider riding the chair lift up the Mountain for a scenic view.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment